Gonzales Research has polled Maryland for a number of things, Presidential, same-sex marriage, US Senate, etc. Here is the breakdown for each of these items:
- Barack Obama (D) - 55%
- Mitt Romney (R) - 36%
- Someone Else - 1%
- Undecided - 8%
- Ben Cardin (D) - 50%
- Dan Bongino (R) - 22%
- Rob Sobhani (I) - 21%
MD Dream Act (Question 4)
- For - 58%
- Against - 34%
- Undecided - 8%
Same-Sex Marriage (Question 6)
- For - 51%
- Against - 43%
- Undecided - 6%
Gambling Expansion (Question 7)
- For - 45%
- Against - 46%
- Undecided - 9%
There is a lot of detail in the poll taken from September 17-23, 2012 of 813 registered voters with a margin of error of +/- 3.5%. Check the link above for cross-tabs.
What does this poll tell us? First, Sobhani has been successful at getting name recognition. People now recognize his name and assume him to be a legitimate candidate. I think this is artifically high. Those who read my blog know that I feel Sobhani is not a legitimate candidate and that Bongino is the real deal. Hopefully Bongino is able to boost name recognition in the closing month of this campaign.
Second, Romney is running about where McCain was 4 years ago, around 36%. If he can boost that, it would be great. If he cannot, he should spend more time focusing not on Maryland. Third, we see polling confirming that same-sex marriage and the DREAM Act look poised to potentially win at the ballot. That said, we're still seeing registered instead of likely voters. Likely voter models, which tend to be more accurate by election day, tend to see more Republican turnout than Democratic or Independent.
Finally, it shows that those of us on the right still have a lot of work to do here in Maryland. If we want to change Maryland, we have to get on the ground and change people's minds.
Bongino had a great interview at the Daily Caller. As I said on Twitter, he's getting some great free press for being awesome. Here's the video:
The rest is being posted Monday. I look forward to the whole interview.
This video is a perfect example of why Dan Bongino can win in Maryland. This man knows how to explain conservative principles to anyone in a way that makes sense. Watch it and be inspired.
HT to Anthropocon
Incumbent US Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) has agreed to debate Dan Bongino (R-MD). This is a good thing and will provide Maryland voters with a stark contrast - continue on the same path of liberalism, waste, and entrenchment of incumbents or move forward with real change for Maryland and America; does Maryland want the same old career politician or a younger man who has served this nation as an officer and a Secret Service agent who believes in the future of America? The choice will be obvious and on display. The Maryland Gazette has more:
U.S. Sen. Ben Cardin said Thursday he will debate his Republican challenger, Dan Bongino.
The two campaigns currently are working out the number of debates, the dates and the setting, said Cardin, a Democrat from Baltimore seeking a second term in November. Jim Gibbons, campaign manager for Bongino, said Friday his campaign hopes to have at least one debate before Labor Day and then continue with a series around the state.
Cardin’s comment in response to a question was his only reference to the former Secret Service agent from Severna Park during an hour-long appearance at the District 32 Democratic Club in Ferndale. He spent most of the evening talking about the achievements of President Barack Obama’s four years in office, the failings of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and obstructionism by Republicans in Congress.
Cardin was one of those rare politicians in 2010 who actually held a town hall following Obamacare, so despite being a boring, generic Democrat career politician he is braver than some of his counterparts. He'll have to be brave to take on Bongino in a real debate.
Haven't written a post in a while, so let's go through the news:
- Did you miss the Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting? Here are the resolutions they passed at the convention. An interesting one that got my Catholic friends' attention? This one where the SBC says we should stand with Catholic Bishops against religious intolerance.
- On a related note - the Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting will be held in Baltimore in 2014. As one who lives locally & is a Southern Baptist I have one word: SWEET.
- Bongino made some excellent points at the "No More Neglect" rally. He generally does. Also, he's ceding no ground to Democrats in this election. I like that. Learn more here.
- For those interested, here's a partial list of the many new laws going into effect now in Maryland & Virginia. What do Marylanders get to look forward to? Higher taxes, higher flush tax, new regulations, and allowing certain conditions where you can BYOB to restaurants.
- As a reminder to Maryland 6th Legislative District members - Sonny Minnick was running illegal gambling out of his tavern & got out of the business in late 2011. Reportedly, he knew about the payouts.
- Efforts to overturn the gerrymandered Maryland maps have submitted over 63,000 signatures now. The hope is these signatures are upheld under scrutiny - if so, we'll be voting on it this fall.
- I think Ben Cardin & my definition of "win for America" are different. He thinks the court upholding Obamacare is a win, Americans disagree and hopefully will vote him out.
- Jimmie Bise of Sundries Shack wants to interrupt the anger toward John Roberts for a moment to say something important. Listen to him.
- Maryland will now force restaurants to hold their food at colder temperatures. 41 degrees instead of 45 degrees by December. Health inspectors will be checking temperatures in December. For reals.
- Silly article from Topless Robot about the 5 superheroes who are awful at their day jobs & 5 who are excellent at them. As a followup, here are some awesome Super Mario animal powerups that should be created yet.
Have more news? Post it in the comments. I'll end this piece with a newer web-ad from Mitt Romney, it's well done: